Prato di Sotto is situated on a hilltop near the market town of Umbertide in Umbria, central Italy. The immediate area, which is very rural with few other houses, has some excellent walks. Borrow a book of circular walks or Penny can advise you on many pleasant hikes from the property, including one walk to the monastery on the top of Monte Corona.
The town of Umbertide (15 minutes) is the best place for grocery and other shopping. There is a large Coop supermarket, other grocery stores, a fresh pasta shop, an excellent delicatessen and other shops for all your holiday needs. Penny can recommend the best butcher, greengrocer and enoteca, and there is also a lively market on Wednesdays. Whilst most of Umbertide is relatively new, there is a charming historical centre to discover, with a splendid Rocca and an interesting octagonal church just outside the ancient walls. Umbertide also has a good selection of restaurants and cafes for all tastes. Penny can recommend the best restaurants in the immediate area and in Perugia and Citta di Castello, whether your fancy runs to a simple pizzeria, traditional Umbrian cooking or a first class gourmet meal.
Just a few of the places you might like to visit near to Prato di Sotto include:
- The abbey of Montecorona at the bottom of the hill from the property with a splendid crypt and the added avantage of a farm shop selling wine, olive oil and other products.
- The Collegiate church, the Rocca (fort) and Santa Croce church with a small but interesting museum in Umbertide.
- Wine tastings at the Girasole vineyard with guided tours available.
- The beautifully restored medieval village of Montone, which is a delightful place to explore and also has three good restaurants.
- There are many well known, and thankfully not so well known, Umbrian and Tuscan towns only a short drive from Prato di Sotto making a great day out. Perugia, Assisi, Gubbio, Citta di Castello, Sansepolcro and Cortona are all under an hour’s drive. Also Lake Trasimeno is good for exploring the lake side towns, sailing or taking a ferry to the island of Maggiore.
- If you are a road or mountain biker there are terrific valleys and mountains to traverse up to 926 meters.
- Golfers will find a top notch golf course under 30 minutes away at the Antognolla Estate.
- Horse riding is also available locally.